- 5½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved lengthwise then cut into wedges
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 pound Italian sausage (removed from casings), sweet or spicy
- 2 pounds of prepared polenta
- ½ pound fresh mozzarella in ¼-inch slices
Preheat oven broiler on high. Heat 3 Tbsp of oil in a 2-3 qt saucepan on medium heat. Add tomatoes and oregano, simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
While the tomatoes are cooking, in a large frying pan heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Cover the pan, lower the heat to medium, and coo until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, stirring and breaking it into small pieces as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Cover the pan and cook until vegetables are tender and the sausage is cooked through, about 5-8 more minutes. Add the tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
While the sauce is cooking, coat the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with 1 Tbsp oil. Add the cooked polenta to the pan. Coat the top of the polenta with the remaining ½ Tbsp oil. Broil the polenta about 4 inches from the heating element until golden brown and crispy, about 10-15 minutes.
Pour sauce over broiled polenta, then arrange mozzarella slices over the top and return the casserole to the broiler. Broil until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.