- 1 ½ pounds bulk breakfast sausage
- 12 Tbsp butter
- 4 ribs celery, chopped fine
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- ½ cup fresh parsley, minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh marjoram, minced
- 3 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 cups dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 3 pounds white sandwich bread, cut into ½ inch cubes and dried
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
Cook sausage in skillet over medium heat, breaking it up into smaller pieces, until lightly browned. Remove from skillet and discard the fat. Drain sausage on paper towels.
Melt the butter in the empty skillet. Add the celery and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the herbs and cook an additional minute.
Combine everything in a large bowl. Place in oiled 15 by 10 inch baking dish.
Cook, covered with foil, 45 minutes in a 350°F oven, then remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes.